Thursday, June 16, 2011

Urban Transportation

My original goal was to ride my bike 50% of the time. Almost three weeks in my new New York City apartment, I have not taken the subway once!

One plus (only with regard to this) is that I lost my waitressing job nine miles away and have now found a new one about one mile away. Losing my job meant I had the opportunity to search for new jobs closer to where I lived; it also meant that I had no disposable income to do much that would require public transportation!

That's not to say I have not been riding around plenty. This past weekend, I participated in the World Naked Bike Ride, in the process rode over the Williamsburg Bridge into Brooklyn and back four times. Last night, I rode to my Sierra Club Inner City Outings meeting and then afterward rode downtown to go salsa dancing. The typical salsa dancer shows up in a taxi with a little black dress and heals; I show up on a bike with a helmet and tennis shoes. Nonetheless, I prove myself inside, and there is little better after a night of dancing than the late night cool and quiet streets of New York, or even better, my ride back home up through Central Park!

Important Note: Manhattan may seem a little crazy for cyclists by looks, a little intimidating to the cyclist concerned about safety. You just need to know where the biking resources are! First you need to get yourself a NYC Bike Map, available at almost all biking stores for free in the five boroughs. Or you can use google's new directions by bike option. Both provide you with the best routes that take you along bike paths, through parks, and in the least precarious cycling streets possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment