Tuesday, April 12, 2011

WWOOFing in Italy: Olive Oil

23 February 2011

How much does Olive Oil cost in the US?

Today, now that the rocks had been sanded, it was time for me to go back through the entire house, this time to oil them. Gallons and gallons of olive oil will be used in this process. Of course we do not use olive oil because it is the only appropriate oil for the job; there is simply a lot of it. If only I had limitless space in my backpack and could carry a year’s supply of homemade extra-virgin olive oil home with me! But in that case, in a bag of limitless room I would have to add chestnuts, kiwi, fresh goat cheese, mozzarella balls, lemons, eggs from the family farm, unmarked bottle of home-produced red wine gifted from the neighbors, gelato… This hypothetical bag with limitless room is also padded. And refrigerated.

Work here has reminded me of my first job at age twelve: staining and polyurethaning woodwork in my parents’ home. Only this time, no stained hands, no sticky mess that can only be cleaned with toxic chemicals….just natural, nutrient-rich olive oil. the more I spill on myself the merrier. I’ve been using it as body lotion already, anyway, so every spill is just an excuse to better moisturize!

No comments:

Post a Comment