Monday, April 11, 2011

Best Bus Ride Ever Continuation

19 February 2011

My married and forty-one year-old bus driver gave me another free ride, and I met his wife and children. Not quite as strange as it sounds: his wife brought his children to a bus stop and put them on without getting on herself. They were to spend some quality time with daddy…sitting in the seat behind him as he drove. His four and six year old, both questionably too small for the front seat of a car with a seatbelt, were placed in the giant bench seat behind him without seatbelts, standing, walking up and down the aisle, and alla round nearly giving me an ulcer as I sat next to them, jutting out my arm (Italian mother style) at every turn or deceleration.

Again, I need to get used to the less urban and less modern over-sensitivity with danger. Here, the more isolated, “out of sight, out of mind” rules. The two girls in Tempa del Fico, seven and nine, wear no seatbelts on their daily ride to and from school on unpaved mountain road, the younger one in the back inevitably standing up between the seats to be heard by those in the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment