Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WWOOF Italy: WWOOFing Without Work

8 May 2011

It can happen that a farmer has too many workers at once with not enough work for them to do. At times six WWOOFers will request to come in a certain period and in the end only one will show up, and at other times every single one will decide to come, making it difficult to get the numbers exactly right. WWOOFers coming and going, depending on the farm, can be difficult on a farmer, as each time new ones need to be trained. That is why on this farm, the host requests a minimum of a three week stay. Then the WWOOFer begins to understand his place and can work without needing guidance.

Unfortunately, I have not reached that point, here. Everyday, when I ask, “what needs to be done today?” I can tell that the farmer and his wife avoid it; they would prefer not to have to find a job for us or stop to show us. Today, for example, I have done nothing. All morning I sat and waited for a job, and finally I got one in the garden about a half hour before lunch. Right after lunch, however, it began to rain, right away ending garden work for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment